Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Genre: dystopian
Series and Book #: The Selection #1
Pages: 327
Summary:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
 
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a  crown she doesn’t want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
 
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she’s made for herself—and realizes that the life she’s always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
 
--------

All the FEELS! So when I heard it was The Bachelor in book form, I was like "No way in ever". But then I read it. And I was like "WHY WOULD I EVER THINK OF NOT READING THIS BOOK?!" This is going to sound stupid, but it's like a blend of The Hunger Games and The Bachelor. But...better!

Could Kiera have chosen a better name than America Singer? How punny. America is a singer, and she lives in what used to be known as the United States of America (America for short). But enough about her name. America is determined, and she loves her family. She's also very stubborn and I like that she wasn't fawning over Prince Maxon but slowly falls in love with him. I also like that she would put her family before herself, no matter the cost. She stays in the competition because they need the money. She could have been selfish and dropped out but she chose not to because her loyalty to her family came first. That, I think, is the brightest point in her character.

If it's between Maxon and Aspen, I'd choose Maxon. Because Maxon was there for America and he didn't push her unlike Aspen who suddenly drops her after two years together, and then comes back begging forgiveness. You can argue your point in the comments but I'm not changing my opinion on the matter.

Overall, it shouldn't really be called a Hunger Games and Bachelor mash up because it's not. When it comes down to it, Kiera's look on the way the USA turned out after being invaded and stomped on was quite unique. I have never read a dystopian/post-apocalyptic novel about the USA being turned into a kingdom. The whole land was built on democracy, after all. And the Selection is new. I want to see what happens in her second novel. More action? More romance? She really left it open to either option and I can't wait to see which one she goes for.

The Cover: Admittedly, that's what drew me to the book in the first place. I love the mirrors and the tiara over "selection". It's so bright and beautiful. It think it looks too serious for the book, though. The model looks very intense whereas the book is more of a romantic triangle than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment